As the Cricket world cup is around the corner, u need to know the lesser known facts about the game ,These facts are surely those that u never thought/heard of, Lets Start-
1. Adam Gilchrist holds the record for playing the most number of Tests straight after debut.
He played 96 Test matches between 5 th November 1999 and 24 th January 2008 without dropping out from any of them.
2. Ishant Sharma is responsible for all the three highest scores made by a batsman against India in the 21 st century.
Alistair Cook – 294 Runs, Edgbaston 2011; Michael Clarke – 329 Runs, Sydney 2012; Brendon McCullum – 302 Runs, Wellington 2014. They were all dropped by Ishant Sharma early on in their innings.
3.Sir Jack Hobbs scored 199 centuries in his First Class career.
4. Saurav Ganguly is the only player to win four consecutive Man of the Match awards in ODIs.
5.Shahid Afridi used a bat borrowed from Waqar Younis to score the fastest century in a ODI match
6. Inzamam Ul Haq took a wicket off the very first ball he bowled in International Cricket
7. Wasim Akram’s highest Test innings score of 257 is higher than that of Sachin Tendulkar’s (who has 248 n.o. to his credit).
8. Lance Klusener, Abdur Razzaq, Shoaib Malik and Hashan Tillakaratne are the only players to have batted in 10 different batting positions in ODIs.
9. Graeme Smith is the only player in the history of cricket to have captained a team for more than 100 Test matches.
10. On 12 th January 1964, Indian spinner Bapu Nadkarni bowled 21 consecutive maiden overs vs England at Chennai.
His figures were 32-27-5-0 which is an economy rate of 0.15 per over which is the lowest of all bowlers where 10 or more overs were bowled.
11. Chris Martin and B.S Chandrasekhar have taken more Test wickets in their career than the test runs they scored.
In 71 Tests, Martin has scored 123 runs, while he has 233 wickets to his credit, on the other hand Chandrasekhar has 167 runs to his name along with 242 wickets.
12. Wilfred Rhodes took 4,204 wickets in First Class cricket.
No, it’s not a typo. He actually did take more than Four Thousand wickets. He also happened to score 39, 969 runs.
13. In a World Cup Match, chasing 335, Sunil Gavaskar scored an unbeaten 36 off 174 balls.
In the Prudential World Cup of 1975, in the match between India and England, England set the target of 335 runs in 60 overs. Sunil Gavaskar batted throughout the innings and scored only 36 runs of 174 balls. India managed to score only 132 runs in 60 overs with 7 wickets in hand.
14. The player with the most number of not outs in Test cricket is not Rahul Dravid, but Courtney Walsh.
He’s been unbeaten a total of 61 times in 185 innings.
15. Virender Sehwag’s highest scores in T20, ODI and Tests are 119, 219 and 319 respectively.
119 was scored in an IPL game.
16. The England Cricket Team is the only team in ODI history to lose a 60 over ODI Final (1979 World Cup), a 50 over ODI Final (1992 World Cup and 2004 Champions Trophy) and a 20 over ODI Final (2013 Champions Trophy) in ICC tournaments.
17. Sachin Tendulkar got out for a duck only once in his Ranji career. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar got him.
18. Shoaib Akhtar handed Sachin Tendulkar a Golden Duck the first time these two came head to head.
It was a late reverse swinging delivery that knocked Tendulkar’s middle wicket off the ground. He had also bowled Dravid, with a similar reverse swing, one ball before Sachin. These two deliveries are called, ‘Double jeopardy’ when Shoaib Akhtar made his first International impact.